ADSM-L

[no subject]

1997-03-26 10:49:07
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 07:49:07 PST
Subject:ADSM, DB2, and SAP R/3

==> I've appended answers below...thanks, Cyndie Behrens (IBM San Jose)
I want to do online-backups of an SAP R/3-system with an DB 2 - database (all
on AIX).

Can anyone please help me with the following questions:

1. Which managementclass does the DB 2 - Backup use : The default-mgmtclass??
==> Yes, DB2 uses backup copygroups and the default mgmt class, unless you
==> specify a different mgmt class.  You can specify a different mgmt class
==> by putting the ADSM client node for DB2 in a different domain with a
==> different MC, or by using include MC statements.  DB2 in the future
==> will allow you to specify MC directly on their DB2 backup panels/commands.

2. When I start a backup, which copygroup is involved, the backup- or
archive-copygroup?
==> DB2 uses backup copygroups and you cannot change this....this is better
==> anyway than archive, because DB2 uses unique object names, which means
==> there is always only one version of an object on ADSM.  This one object
==> will always be active (in ADSM terminology), and the only way to delete
==> is when DB2 issues a delete object api call (it does this when the DBA
==> uses the db2adutl utility.  If DB2 used archive copygroups, ADSM could
==> delete stuff when the retention period was reached, even though DB2
==> still thought ADSM had it stored.

3. When I save the offline-redo-logs: Are they bound to an archive-copygroup?
==>Hmm, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe backup is still used, for the same
==> reason I stated above.

4. What is about serialization? Static or dynamic?
==> The serialization doesn't matter, because the ADSM APi is being used,
==> not the ADSM backup/archive standard client.

5. If I want to have parallel sessions: Do I need two (or more)
managementclasses (sorry for this silly question, but I only know the concept
of  oracle-backups)?
==> No you don't need multiple MCs, but you should make sure that you have
==> the same number of tape drives (if you're backing up straight to tape)