ADSM-L

Re: tape storage vs. disk storage

1997-03-26 03:58:21
Subject: Re: tape storage vs. disk storage
From: Bradley King <king AT MONTROUGE.GM.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:58:21 +0100
>Michael,
>Yes, it can be done.....just setup the tape storage pool. you must have
>ample
>tape drives available .

I too agree that it can be done but...

I used to do it like that but now I put a 1GB disk buffer between all
of my clients and the tape drives.  I have much faster backup
response and as someone else noted you can have lots of folks doing
simultaneous sessions.  There are lots of things you "can do" with
ADSM but my impression is that it works much better to have as a
minimum: some disk storage for speed and flexibility and at least
2 drives in the tape pool for migration and reclaimation.

Thats my 2 cents.

Bradley King                            Tel: 331.47.46.66.83
Schlumberger Industries GTL             Fax: 331.47.46.72.12
50 ave Jean Jaures
BP 620-13
92542 Montrouge Cedex
France