ADSM-L

Re: installing 3494 tape library dataserver

1997-03-21 10:55:55
Subject: Re: installing 3494 tape library dataserver
From: "Eliza.Lau AT vt DOT edu" <LAU AT VTCC1.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:55:55 -0500
> I am a new administrator to adsm and am trying to configure a 3494 tape
> library (with 3590 drives) to be connected to RISC 6000 via TCP running
> AIX 4.1 and ADSM 2.5.1
> I have performed the following steps:
> 1. install atldd.driver  (committed)
> 2. configure 3590 tape drives
> 3. define library name to daemon (in /etc/ibmatl.conf I have the line
>         "3494a          <server IP addr>        <server hostname>"
> 4. configure lmcp0      (lmcp0 avail)
>
> when I try to define the 3494a library I get the following error:
> ANR8418E : Define Library : An error occured while accessing library
> 3494a
>
> I have made sure the 3494 is turned on, online and all doors shut
>
> Also, should I ba able to ping the 3494's IP address ?? I cannot.
>
> Any help will be appreciated
>
> Darrell

You should be able to ping the 3494's IP address.
The following command is a good test to see if the 3494 is accessable from the
server:

 mtlib -l/dev/lmcp0 -f/dev/rmt1 -qD

(/dev/rmt1 is one of the two 3494 drives)
If it does not return anything then your server cannot talk to the 3494.

Make sure that you have added the hostname and ip address of your server to the
3494.  Look at "Add LAN Host", page 107 in the "IBM 3494 Tape Library
Dataserver Operator's Guide".

I agree with you that the installation guide is not clear on this.  We had
exactly the same problem when we first set up ours.  It took a call to the
support center to clear things up.

Good Luck.

 Eliza Lau
 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                Internet : eliza.lau AT vt DOT
edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                            Voice   : (540) 231-9399