ADSM-L

Re: request list

1997-03-20 07:59:56
Subject: Re: request list
From: Rainer Strunz <Rainer.Strunz AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:59:56 +0100
> Vince,
> I too, would benefit greatly from being able to do an incremental
> backup on a subset of a file system.  We use ADSM to distribute
> software on a limited basis, and this ability would save us time.
> Julie Phinney

Vince, Julie and others,

ADSM's VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT option solves the "problem" of excluding/
including directories from/for filespace backup. So there is NO NEED
for a DCR in this particular case.

Just define the directories you want to treat separately from their
parent filespaces as virtual mount points. Now ADSM will treat these
directories as separate ADSM filespaces, like any other file system.

Among other issues these pseudo file systems will not be backuped
automatically (together with their parent file systems) unless
specified explicitly, eg. via the domain list or as dsmc incremental
parameters.

A simple example: If /tmp is not a file system of its own then the
line "VirtualMountPoint /tmp" will exclude /tmp when performing an
incremental backup on /. If /tmp, on the other hand, contains a
subdirectory /tmp/to_backup, then "VirtualMountPoint /tmp/to_backup"
together with "domain /tmp/to_backup" will backup this subdirectory.

As for the latter case, please, do not forget: if you set up your
own domain list (even using on single domain entry), this list will
become the new default list!

Rainer