ADSM-L

Selective Incrementals and Point in Time Restores

1997-03-20 08:00:35
Subject: Selective Incrementals and Point in Time Restores
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 07:00:35 -0600
Folks,

  What do you think of these ideas.

   In order to perform selective incrementals on LAN servers to support LAN
based applications we have to actually define an ADSM Node for these major
applications and run incrementals using unique DSM.OPT files (on AIX I
realize there is also another config file).  This allows totally different
exclude and include lists.  FYI we did this to coordinate the backup with
the stopping of the application to back up files that are normally opened
by that application.

 The manner in which the -todate and -ina parameters function on a restore
has also been of some concern to USAA.  We are toying with the idea of have
a pre-backup command issued that does a DIR for specific directories and
pipes this to a file.  We should be able to then back up this file and if
we need a point-in-time recovery, restore the directory file and build
restore requests from this file with the appropriate -todate and -fromdate
options.  We currently have decided that the need does not justify the
development cost/time and are waiting to see if future versions of ADSM
handles this better.  Depending on your customer's needs you might consider
this as an option.  If nothing else you would at least know what is
supposed to be restored.  ADSM's abilities to perform pre and post backup
commands should make it easy to issue the DIR commands.

Daniel Thompson
Storage/Automation Management - USAA
thompsod AT usaa DOT com