ADSM-L

Re: point-in-time-restore of a filesystem

1997-03-19 10:08:03
Subject: Re: point-in-time-restore of a filesystem
From: Dirk Kastens <dkastens AT RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:08:03 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Dieringer Walter VAI/COI wrote:

> 1       creation of files A, B, D & incremental backup
> 2       deletion of D & incremental backup
> 3       the active files are now A, B ( = status wanted )
> 4       modification of A & incremental backup
> 5       deletion of filesystem & recreation of filesystem
> 6       now I want to restore the file system to time stamp 3
>
> A. "dsmc restore -TODATE=3" restores only file B,
> which wasn't modified since time stamp 3
> but does not restore file A which was modified after then,
> so the version of file A at time 3 had been set to inactive.
>
> B. "dsmc restore -TODATE=3 -INA" restores files B,C,D
> although file D was already deleted at this time.
> The existence of file D is incorrect. I get too many files!

Maybe it helps to add the option -FROMDATE=2, the point of time
shortly after the backup was made.

dsmc restore -FROMDATE=2 (plus a few hours) -TODATE=3 -INACTIVE

Regards,

Dirk Kastens _______________Dirk.Kastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE
Universitaet Osnabrueck     Phone: +49/541/969-2347 (work)
Rechenzentrum               Fax:   +49/541/969-2470 (work)
Albrechtstr. 28             Phone: +49/541/258182   (private)
49069 Osnabrueck
Germany