Subject: 3590 attachment to multiple servers
From: Greg Tevis <gtevis AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:46:21 PST
fyi...here is some more info from development on the 3590 twin
tailing to multiple adsm servers.   Summary...

* it is the RESERVE causing the restriction,
* looks like a resolution has a dependency on SCSI 3 technology,
* sharing 3590 devices between multiple adsm servers on
different systems is not officially supported,
* however it should work if you can GUARANTEE the ports are
used at different times,
* BE CAREFUL

....greg tevis

 There are holes in dual port support.  If a host has the device
 There are holes in dual port support.  If a host has the device
 reserved and a bus reset happens, it may go back and reestablish
 the reservation but during the window between the bus reset and
 the reestablishment of the reservation a host can come in the
 other port and reserve the device.  There is nothing ADSM can
 do to close this hole.  This and other more subtle problems
 having to do with Reserve deadlocks and unit attention reporting
 will not be there until we support PERSISTENT RESERVE, a
 SCSI 3 construct.  We have had several requests for a more solid
 dual port implementation.  The current plan is that support would
 come out with our first serial interface (FC-EL or FC-AL) which still
 doesn't have an official date.

 If the ports are being used at different times (guaranteed) either
 by tightly coupled hosts (like our control unit) or by some other
 means like a visual inspection by the operator then what we have
 should suffice for dual port support.