ADSM-L

Some questions

1997-03-17 06:07:47
Subject: Some questions
From: Rolf Page <Rolf.Page AT DLR DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 12:07:47 +0100
Hi all,

we are just in the process of migrating from HSM/MVS to ADSM/AIX.
Copared with HSM/MVS some strange things are happening.

Our Installation is AIX 4.1, ADSM DAtabase size about 7 GB. We are
using HSM/ADSM Migration facility with 'backup before migrate'.

Migration starts normally with using a 'candidate list (reconcile)'.
To produce this list for a file space with 28 GB and about 6000
Datasets took about 90 minutes. What is ADSM doing in this time (the
MVS migrations starts immediatly).

We had to AUDIT and FIX our database (wrong server software produced
by IBM), this AUDIT (server has to be offline) abended after 45 hours
!!!!. Ibm is not able to tell us how long such an AUDIT would take,
or if it is possible to restart the AUDIT (from the last point).

I think that ADSM could be a good product, i am astonished how many
design/programming errors are in this product (just think how long
IBM has a HSM/MVS product).

Any ideas/suggestions how to get more internal information about
ADSM/AIX?

Regards

Rolf Page

Head of computer department

German Aerospace Research Establishment (DLR)
82234 Oberpfaffenhofen
e-mail: Rolf.Page AT DLR DOT DE
fax    : +49 8153 28 1136
phone: +49 8153 28 2949