ADSM-L

Re: dsmc restore failed

1997-03-14 12:57:05
Subject: Re: dsmc restore failed
From: David Ong <david AT BABYONG.NSC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 09:57:05 -0800
It appears to work that way. I've had that happened to me once before when
I was trying to recreate the /home directory on an AIX box. After thinking
it over and deciding that it really doesn't make sense to be backing up a
system that I am trying to restore, I will simply turn off the daily backup
on that system while the restore is still going on. However, for the IBMers
on this list, if this is really the way it works, I would submit that the
restore job should take precedence rather than the backup. Otherwise we
would end up backing up a bad situation that will make the restore much
more complicated.

At 10:59 AM 3/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Fellow ADSM'ers,
>
>I started a dsmc restore of 108 files, each approx. 50MB. After
>running successfully for >3hrs I received the following
>message:

>ANS4314E File data currently unavailable on server
>
>Total number of objects restored:        48
>Total number of bytes transferred:      1.0 GB
>Data transfer rate:                  196.57 KB/sec
>Total failures:                           0
>Elapsed processing time:           03:18:15
>myhost#
>

>This failure occurred at 17:37. Also, my scheduled backups and archives
>started at 16:00. I have a 3494 w/two 3590 drives.
>My question is this: Can scheduled backups/archives "bump"
>a dsmc restore in progress? Or should they be able to
>coexist? It looks like my dsmc restore had to fight the
>scheduler for a 3590 resource, and lost.
>
>Here is a portion of the actlog at the point of failure:
>
>03/13/97   17:37:30      ANR8447E No drives are currently available
>                    in library LIB1.
>
>03/13/97   17:37:30      ANR1401W Mount request denied for volume
>
>                                             PHA382 - mount failed.
>

>03/13/97   17:37:30      ANR0542W Retrieve or restore failed for
>                                          session 47 for node MYHOST
>(SunOS) - storage                          media inaccessible.

Have a nice day or whatever's left of it.

David Ong
National Semiconductor Corp.