ADSM-L

Restore process dying because of long directory path name

1997-03-13 08:00:12
Subject: Restore process dying because of long directory path name
From: Detlev Hilberg <hilberg AT RZ.UNI-FRANKFURT DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 14:00:12 +0100
Hi,

When trying to do a (test) restore of a large user file system
the restore process ended abnormally when trying to create the
needed directory structure. The error occured when a directory
with a _very_ long path name had to be created.

I would have expected that adsm would fail only in this (sub)task
and would continue to create the next directories needed for the
restore process. But in the contrary, the _whole_ restore process
died!!!
That's a great pity, because the dying occured after 1:20 h
(large user file system means 250.000 files in 4.5 GB filespace!),
and we had to restart the restore process after deleting the original
(malformed) directory structure and doing a selective backup of the
parent directory. Now we wait for the next crash ;-(.

Why does ADSM die? Should this not have been fixed as soon as possible?
Otherwise every student could prevent us from doing correct
backup/restore by simple using/typing a short shell script which
creates a directory in a directory in a directory.... you know what i mean!

Hope to hear from anybody soon ;-)

Bye,
/dh

--
Detlev Hilberg                                     hilberg AT rz.uni-frankfurt
DOT de
Detlev Hilberg                                     hilberg AT rz.uni-frankfurt
DOT de
Hochschulrechenzentrum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitaet  Frankfurt/Main
Office phone: +49 69 798-28005,  fax: -28313,  priv. cellular: +49 171 4702196