ADSM-L

Informix and OnBar

1997-03-12 16:17:50
Subject: Informix and OnBar
From: David Hendrix 216832 <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:17:50 -0600
IBM:

The ADSM teleconference today (using ADSM to backup databases) conducted
by Cyndie Behrens mentions on page 50 that HP-UX supports the X/Open API
for use with OnBar (Informix 7.21).

The latest redbook indicates that HP-UX support is forthcoming but that
Solaris and AIX are supported.  Looking at the latest PTF doc (2.1.0.6)
for HP-UX mentions nothing about support for the X/Open API (but the
2.1.0.5 PTF doc for Solaris does).

Is X/Open supported on PTF 2.1.0.6 on HP-UX clients (10.20)?

Also, the ADSM announcement for the HP-UX V2.6 server does not mention
support for shared memory protocol (whereas the Solaris V2.6 server
announcement does mention support for shared memory).  I must assume
that shared memory protocol will not be supported on v2.6 of the HP-UX
server.  When will it be?

ADSMers:
Does anyone have any experience backing up Informix DBs with OnBar and
ADSM using the X/Open API.  One question running through my mind as I
read the redbook (Using ADSM to Backup Databases - v2) is whether mirror
breaking could be used WITH OnBar.  Example:

We will have an Informix database replicated (using informix
replication) to another machine and disks.  On the replicated machine
the thought is to use a third hardware disk mirror and then split the
mirror.  Start the OnBar backup - I assume using a different Informix
instance - to take the backup and then "unsplit" the mirror and let the
OS resync.  The problem I believe comes with the OnBar sysutils catalog
entries.  I must assume they are an Informix DBSpace and probably are
tied to the root dbspace meta-data catalogs (I am informix challenged).
If this is the case, it would not be possible.

Anyone have any ideas?  The point of the mirror breaking would be to
relieve the backup window constraint (which might be as long as 10
hours).

And related to the above paragraph, what kind of performance is anyone
seeing with OnBar and ADSM?

Thanks,

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com