ADSM-L

Win95 Automated install question

1997-03-12 00:40:49
Subject: Win95 Automated install question
From: Mike Collins <ecollins AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:40:49 -0700
Jerry Lawson writes:
 > A guy in my department has been working on automated installs of the Win95
 > clients.  We have followed the instructions in the ReadMe file with the
 > level 6 client, and have used the Setup -r command to build an setup.iss
 > file for use in the silent install, which we have also successfully done.
 >
 > My guy's question?  We have several different scenarios for installation -
 > each will have a different setup.iss file.  But since the file must be in
 > the same location as the setup.exe we were wondering if there were any
 > options available with the Setup program - an option that allows to point
 > to an iss file with a different name?
 >
 > Jerry Lawson
 > jlawson AT itthartford DOT com

Hi Jerry,

Here is some additional information regarding the use of
installshield. See the -f1 parameter below to specify alternate .iss
files.  I've removed some of the parameters that do not apply to ADSM
installations. Full docs are available at the url listed below.

This info is applicable to the ADSM win32 clients starting with ptf6
and the ADSM for Windows NT server starting with ptf1.

More information can be found at installshield's web site. Ref:

   http://www.installshield.com/support/is3arch/isdocs.htm

Regards,

Mike Collins
ADSM Development

SETUP

/*======================================================================
 * Command Line Parameters
 *====================================================================*/

Following is a list of some command line parameters that can be used
with SETUP.EXE.  These switches are optional, but note that either a
slash (/) or a dash (-) must precede the command line parameters.
SETUP.EXE command line parameters are not case sensitive; upper case
or lower case letters can be used.  When using long path and filename
expressions with switches, enclose the expressions in double quotation
marks.  The enclosing double quotes tell the operating system that
spaces within the quotes are not to be treated as command line
delimiters.

-f1<path\ResponseFile>
The alternate location and name of the response file (.ISS file) can
The alternate location and name of the response file (.ISS file) can
be specified using this option. If this option is used when running
InstallShield Silent, the response file is read from the
directory/file specified by<path\ResponseFile>.  If an alternate
compiled script is specified using the -f switch, the -f1 switch entry
must follow the -f switch entry.

-f2<path\LogFile>
The alternate location and name of the log file created by
The alternate location and name of the log file created by
InstallShield Silent can be specified by using this option.  By
default, SETUP.LOG log file is created and stored in the same
directory as that of SETUP.EXE.

-m<filename>
Causes InstallShield3 to generate a Management Information Format
Causes InstallShield3 to generate a Management Information Format
(.MIF) file automatically at the end of the installation.  Do not
include a path--the .MIF file is always placed in the WINDOWS
directory.  <filename> is optional.  If you do not specify a filename,
the resulting file will be called STATUS.MIF.

-m1<serial number>
Tells InstallShield3 to place the indicated serial number in the
Tells InstallShield3 to place the indicated serial number in the
created .MIF file.

-r
Causes SETUP.EXE automatically to generate a silent installation file
Causes SETUP.EXE automatically to generate a silent installation file
(.ISS file), which is a record of the installation input, in the
Windows directory.

-s
Run InstallShield Silent to execute a silent installation.
Run InstallShield Silent to execute a silent installation.

-SMS
The SMS switch prevents a network connection and the SETUP.EXE from
The SMS switch prevents a network connection and the SETUP.EXE from
closing before the installation is complete.  This switch works with
installations originating from a Windows NT server over a network.
Please note that SMS must be uppercase; this is a case-sensitive
switch.

/*======================================================================
 * SETUP Usage Examples
 *====================================================================*/

The following examples illustrate the use of SETUP.EXE, including use
of the command line switches -s, -d, -f1, -f2, and -f32s:

 setup

Launches Setup and tries to load SETUP.INS from the same directory
that contains SETUP.EXE.

 setup -s

Launches InstallShield Silent and tries to load SETUP.INS and
SETUP.ISS from the directory containing SETUP.EXE.  The log file
SETUP.LOG is created in the same directory.

 setup -s -f1c:\mydir\mydir.iss

Launches InstallShield Silent , tries to load SETUP.INS from the same
directory, and uses MYDIR.ISS (from the C:\MYDIR directory) as the
response file.  This example also creates the log file SETUP.LOG in
the same directory as that of the response file (C:\MYDIR).

 setup -s -fc:\mydir\mydir.ins -f1c:\mydir\mydir.iss -f2c:\mydir\mydir.log

Launches InstallShield Silent , tries to load MYDIR.INS from the
C:\MYDIR directory, uses MYDIR.ISS from the C:\MYDIR directory, and
generates log file MYDIR.LOG in the C:\MYDIR directory.

A Few Notes on Using SETUP.EXE:

1. Do not leave a space between command line switches and options.
2. If you specify an alternate compiled script using the -f switch,
   always use the -f switch before specifying an -f1 or -f2 switch.
3. When InstallShield Silent runs, a log file is created in the
   directory as the response file.  The log file has the default name
   SETUP.LOG if the -f2 switch is not provided along with -f1.
4. If the -f1 switch is not used when running InstallShield Silent ,
   Setup looks for the response file SETUP.ISS in the same directory as
   SETUP.EXE.  A log file is created in the same directory.
5. Make sure that _SETUP.LIB and _SETUP.DLL are stored in the same
   directory as the compiled script.  That is, if MYDIR.INS resides in
   the C:\MYDIR directory, then _SETUP.LIB and _SETUP.DLL must also
   reside in C:\MYDIR.
6. SETUP.EXE command line switches/options are not case sensitive.

/*======================================================================
 * SETUP.LOG
 *====================================================================*/

The SETUP.LOG file contains three sections.  The first section,
[InstallShield Silent], identifies the version of InstallShield Silent
used in the silent installation.  It also identifies the file as a log
file.

The second section, [Application], identifies the installed
application's name and version, and the company name.

The third section, [ResponseResult], contains the result code
indicating whether or not the silent installation succeeded.  An
integer value is assigned to the ResultCode keyname in the
[ResponseResult] section.  InstallShield3 places one of the following
return values after the ResultCode keyname:

        0       Success.
        -1      General error.
        -3      Required data not found in the SETUP.ISS file.
        -4      Not enough memory available.
        -5      File does not exist.
        -6      Cannot write to the response file.
        -9      Not a valid list type (string or number).
        -10     Data type is invalid.
        -11     Unknown error during setup.
        -12     Dialogs are out of order.

SETUP.LOG is the default name for the silent installation log file,
and its default location is the directory where the installation's
..INS file resides.  You can specify a different name and location for
the SETUP.LOG using the -f1 and -f2 switches with SETUP.EXE.  The
SETUP.LOG file for a successful silent installation of InstallShield3
is shown below.

[InstallShield Silent]Version=v3.00.000File=Log File
[Application]Name=InstallShield3Version=3.00.000Company=InstallShield

[ResponseResult]ResultCode=0