ADSM-L

Re: sizes and management of adsm databases / Garry Lee

1997-03-06 03:12:00
Subject: Re: sizes and management of adsm databases / Garry Lee
From: Sal Salak Juraj <sal AT MSM.KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:12:00 +0100
Hi Garry,

~ I am currently testing adsm for implementation as a backup solution
for
~ several distributed unix servers in our university.  I have a few
~ questions on management, sizing, and backup of the adsm database.

We tested ADSM for similar purpose nearly a year ago and found database
stability and handling to be the strength (actually, one of many
strengths) of ADSM.
Neverthless, we found some features on the client side which did not
match
our particular needs. You may want to check symbolink links concerned
mails
of past few days in this forum.

~ 1. Is the recomendation of 5% of total storage managed a good one for
~ sizing the adsm database?
It depends definitely on the amount of files you keep in backup:

Dave Cannon wrote:
  Every version of a file requires approximately 500-600 bytes of
database
  space.  Each additional copy of the file (i.e., cached copy or copy
  in a copy storage pool), requires an additional 150-200 bytes of
database.
  Additional database space will be required to allow for partially
filled
  pages and other overhead.

~ 2. Upon reading the admin guide, I found no reference to any way of
~ purging the db of old or deleted records.  Is this automatically taken
~ care of?

Yes. Look after "expire inventory" command. It will be authomatically
scheduled,
but you can change this. On very large databases this command can raise
an
performance issue.

~ 3. I think I have missed something somewhare.  How do you make a
backup
~ of the adsm db?

with dump  db full backup,
with backup db (sorry if misspelled) incremental backup.
There are another commands to export complete server´s specifications,
too.

~ Thanks for any info.  I am new to the mainframe game.  I came out of
PC
~ support 9 months ago and am reading frantically.

You are welcome. I came from mainframe support 6 years ago
and I stil feel this little world requires more help from colleagues
than
mainframes with their better documentation and slower life cycles.

Juraj Salak