ADSM-L

** SYMBOLIC LINK and others : IBM ?

1997-03-04 07:26:42
Subject: ** SYMBOLIC LINK and others : IBM ?
From: nordi <nordi AT NUTECNET.COM DOT BR>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 09:26:42 -0300
Dear IBM folks,

I do not know how frequently you answer questions like that but it seems to
me a very important feature that ADSM is not doing right (or at least is
not available for us).

Like all my ADSM friends, we are experiencing some problems with symbolic
links today, and I wish it could be "fixed" somehow.

My big concerrn is "how important" would IBM (YOU) consider such a lack of
functionality. Note that I do not want to sit in a chair and say "Hey,
you'd better do your homework", but as we are planning to use ADSM as a
corporate solution for many UNIX machines, I believe you understand my
point of view.

Please check this question with your development team and give us a (maybe
good) reply.

Thanks,

Armando Lemos
ADSM project  - Unibanco Brazil

----------------------------------------------- BEGIN OF FORWARDED MESSAGE
----------------
----------------
Trevor Foley wrote:
Trevor Foley wrote:

> There have been a few steams in the past few days
discussing problems with
> symbolic links. We are also having problems. The details
below were
> provided by our Unix support people. Any comments or
suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>

> regards,
>
> Trevor

I'm directing this question to IBM - I know you read the
list and are very selective in answering questions - which
I can understand.

BUT - If somebody asks a question with detailed proof of
what happens I think it is only decent that they should get
an answer on that.

About a year back I had to try and explain exactly what
Trevor is asking about now (special files -
block,character,etc)
I unfortunately did not know this before hand and had to
explain very nicely to some very angry cutomers that I
could not restore these special files - needless to say
that we are not using ADSM anymore on their machines.

So I want to know the following from IBM and expect an
answer:

1)      Is it a known problem with symbolic links - will it be
fixed, is there a work  around this? (Or is it working as
designed)
2)      Same as above but for special files.

Please see these questions in a positive light. I may sound
harsh but I have to make a strategic descision for
enterprise backup for one of the largest banks in South
Africa and I don't need problems like the above in my
life....

Regards
Christo Heuer
ABSA