ADSM-L

WinNT client and storage pool

1997-03-03 11:21:50
Subject: WinNT client and storage pool
From: Marbach <mam AT MHSGW.GRS DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:21:50 +0100
Hi ADSM'ers

I am not a Win NT expert, so I have a simple question, when I
install the ADSM-Client 2.1.0.6 on a Win NT workstation platform.
(Server is running on AIX 4.1.4). HSM is not installed.

Question :
Why does the WinNT client point to the wrong storagepool ???

Problem :
I register the NT Node with the following command :
REGister Node nodename   password  DOmain=PCPOLDOM    ARCHDELete=Yes
BACKDELete=Yes

The Query Mgmtclass PCPOLDOM shows :

Policy                 Policy              Mgmt            Default
Description
Domain              Set Name      Class            Mgmt
Name                                           Name            Class ?

---------                 ---------               ---------
  ---------     ------------------------
  ---------     ------------------------
PCPOLDOM      ACTIVE        PCMGMT           Yes           PC Management
Class
PCPOLDOM      ACTIVE        STANDARD      No            Installed default

                              management class.
PCPOLDOM      STANDARD      PCMGMT           Yes           PC Management
Class
PCPOLDOM      STANDARD      STANDARD      No            Installed default

                                      management class.

Now, if I start an Incremental Backup of the NTFS-Partition from the
NT-clients GUI,
I get the error
ANS7143E Server out of backup data storage space.
The Query ACTlog tells,
ANR0522W (No space available in storagepool BACKUPPOOL and all successor
pools).

Because storagepool BACKUPPOOL comes from installation (Copy Destination
of MgmtClass STANDARD),
which I don't use consciously, something went wrong. If I archive some
NTFS-files the client works correct, at least
the GUI says `Archive completed'. If I make Incremental backups of the
FAT-Files, the client
works correct with the storagepool PCBACKUP, which I assigned to all my
Windows clients..

Why does NTFS-Files of the NT-client point to the wrong storagepool ?

I register all my Win95-Client-Nodes to policydomain PCPOLDOM and
everything works in a
correct manner. Nothingelse was to do.

Obviously I miss something on WinNT or ADSM. I guess that I have to do
something more for an NT-Client.
But what ?

Can anybody help me?  Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Martin Marbach
E-mail: mam AT grs DOT de           http://www.grs.de