ADSM-L

Copy Pool He&%$##

1997-02-28 18:02:57
Subject: Copy Pool He&%$##
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:02:57 PST
Jerry,

I'm sorry that you have been having some unpleasant experiences with
copy storage pools.  I don't recognize this situation, but your server
is old and it is certainly possible that this has been changed.
Unfortunately, the person who has done most of the work on offsite volume
reclamation will be out of town for the next week, and I can't give
you a definitive answer on whether this a known problem.

Have you considered marking the copy pool volumes as READWRITE so they
can be reclaimed directly?  Even without the annoying messages, this
would be much more efficient than offsite reclamation, since the volumes
are actually onsite.

Assuming a healthy database, any file in a copy storage pool must also
reside in a primary pool. Message ANR1163W just means that reclamation
ended without moving one or more files from a copy pool volume.  This
could be because the primary pool volume on which the files reside is
unavailable or maybe the primary files were moved during reclamation
and therefore were not found.  To understand this you need to realize
that reclamation builds a list of primary volumes from which it will
obtain files during an offsite reclamation process.  It then processes
these primary volumes one at at time to minimize volume mounts.  However,
if the data is moved from one of these primary pool volumes before
it is obtained for the offsite reclamation, the offsite reclamation
may be incomplete.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development