ADSM-L

Legal settings for duration of a backup schedule

1997-02-28 12:39:15
Subject: Legal settings for duration of a backup schedule
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 09:39:15 PST
>The help file for DEFINE SCHEDULE says, "The duration of the window
>must be shorter than the period between windows."  I would have said
>that that just meant that the windows mustn't overlap, i.e., that the
>duration must be less than the period between the start of one window
>and the *start* of the next one.

Your interpretation sounds correct.

>However, I'm finding that if I set the duration to more than 11 hours
>(i.e., if I make the duration of a window greater than the time between
>the *end* of a daily window and the beginning of the next window), the
>Scheduler goes berserk and starts scheduling sessions between the
>windows.  I thought at first that this must be a problem with bad time
>settings on a few clients, but it clearly isn't.

I don't know what is happening here.  Keep in mind that the duration
refers to the window during which the scheduled operation can *begin*.
Is it possible that the activity you see "between windows" is caused
by operations that begin during the startup window, but continue past
the end of that window?  If you make your startup window so large
that scheduled operations cannot complete before the next window
begins, you may end up with overlapping operations.

Client time settings should not be an issue, since scheduled
operations are based on the server's clock.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development