ADSM-L

Re: question about type reclamation

1997-02-26 20:02:40
Subject: Re: question about type reclamation
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 19:02:40 -0600
     Well, uh-hmmm let me first say (god and I'll sound like IBM) always do
     your best to be at all current levels of server code, library drivers,
     microcode... 'cause where you might not see things currently a few
     small items are lurking out there...
     You are kind'a right there. I look at my environment as "special" due
     to the load, I mean a 591 & a 59H each dealing with 4.5+ terabytes
     (traffic/data in&out) a month... In my opnion (for what ever that
     counts) ADSM is OK!  BUT I have had situations where, in the early
     going I tried to get by with just 2 3590's and I had data that spanned
     tapes.  During reclamation it would want to load BOTH input tapes at
     the same time (thus filling my drives) then it would ask for a mount
     of a scratch tape and guess what... never really figured out exactly
     where the problem was or when it got fixed but it isn't a problem for
     me anymore... at least that I've seen... The microcode on the 3590's
     has been upgraded, the server code has been upgraded, the ATL driver
     code has been upgraded, I've added more drives, yada, yada, yada...
     and that's in the past...
     later

(actually, I have the sneaky feeling that reclaim won't work if less that 3
or
4 drives are available, in some cases, but I would not bet my life on this.
Has
anybody else seen something corroborating this?)