ADSM-L

Changing rentention time of archived files

1997-02-25 16:01:44
Subject: Changing rentention time of archived files
From: Jeff Renicker <jrenicker AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 16:01:44 EST
Hi all,

We have some users here that took an archive of several gigabytes of database
using BackInt (which uses the ADSM API) and now wants to change the retention
of this particular run.  Normally they keep 14 copies of archived files (yes,
it's an archive and not a backup), but for this one particular run they want
to keep the files for one year (all other archive runs will continue using
the 14 day period).  Is there any way to change the retention period of
archived files AFTER they've been archived?

I don't hold much hope for a "yes" answer here 'cause on page 134 of the
ADSM Admin Guide it states that archive copies of files cannot be rebound
to a new management class.  I've showed them this page in the manual, but
they would still like to know if there's a "side-door" method to accomplish
what they want.  The only thing I can think of is to run an export node on
the files and give them the tape.  Does anyone have any other tricks?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanx...

Jeff Renicker
IBM Global Services