ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Network Impact

1997-02-25 06:34:30
Subject: Re: ADSM Network Impact
From: nordi <nordi AT NUTECNET.COM DOT BR>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:34:30 -0300
Vince,

We are installing ADSM in many UNIX (Sun Solaris) machines. Our primary
goal is to have at least 15 Sun-Solaris machines in a
"ADSM-compliant"solution. We are about to backup 20 Gb daily. We have a
EXPECTED transfer rate of 10 Gb/hour.
Unfortunately, this requires a SEPARATE backup network in order to
accomplish this rating. We are going to either use FDDI or FastEthernet (it
depends if IBM will be able to deliver the FastEthernet board for AIX).

I suggest you evaluate your "expected transfer rate" first. Of course, you
will need the some information on the backup window and the amount of data.

The second thing to concern is with the ADSM server capacity: Will it be a
separate machine or not? We are going to use a J40 for backup, with 3590
tape drive and 3494 library systems (we are expecting to reach 6Tb).

I think compression (and you may discover very soon) that it will not help
you if you have a short backup window. Compression will help your network,
but will on the other hand sacrifice your machines and thus, increase the
time of backup.The ADS manuals are very clear om this matter: Good machines
can use compression, but if your machines are busy, compression will get
you into trouble. :)

I hope it will help you.

Rgrds,

Armando Lemos