ADSM-L

stub NLMs, ADSM, and NetWare 4.1.0 client 2.1.06f doc

1997-02-20 15:32:26
Subject: stub NLMs, ADSM, and NetWare 4.1.0 client 2.1.06f doc
From: Diane Ashby <Diane.Ashby AT TORO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:32:26 -0600
IBM helped me with the problem resolution, and backups appear
to be fine now, but I want to better understand the README
doc for NetWare client 2.1.0.6f (refreshed IP20988).

"ADSM ships special NLMs to stub out any communication that
ADSM supports, but that is not currently running on the system.
The stubs simply export the symbols that would be exported by
the communication program.  If a user starts a communication
program that has been stubbed out by ADSM, the
communication program will not load successfully. . . ."

Then are listed some Communication Methods and their related
stubs, namely NetWare SAA V1.X using acpsaas1.nlm.  We
don't have SAA, but we do have LANRES, which uses that
same module.

My questions are these:
1. When our NW person loaded ADSM before LANRES it
abended our server, requiring power down and back up.
Granted we didn't at first follow the suggested load order of
putting ADSM last, but any ideas why the reaction was more
severe than suggested in the doc?

2. What does "export the symbols" mean, and why does ADSM
do these stubs at all?  Does it just stick some variables in
memory for the comm programs we don't use like all 5s, for
instance, that ADSM only reads to tell itself, "Cool; they don't
use this software, so I can bypass this code."  That's great if we
don't use that software.

3. But what if 2 different pieces of SW use the same nlm like
NW SAA V1.X and LANRES?  Does ADSM see that
acpsaas1.nlm is loaded and think, "OK, they've got NW SAA
V1.X -- I've gotta do its section of code"?

4. Our NW person's concern is different: when LANRES loads
acpsaas1.nlm & exports a set of variables, and then because
LANRES already loaded the nlm ADSM doesn't load its version,
are we missing some valuable ADSM-flavor variables without
which we'll have other problems?

--Diane
diane.ashby AT toro DOT com
diane.ashby AT toro DOT com