ADSM-L

Backing up AS/400 machines

1997-02-19 09:21:00
Subject: Backing up AS/400 machines
From: Eric van Loon <evanloon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:21:00 +0100
Hello all!
Within a few months from now some customers will hand-over their AS/400
machines to be operated by us. We would like to be able to back up the machines
using our MVS 3480 tape devices. Using the standard AS/400 tape drives is not
an option due to the location of those machines (a high security building).
I have before posted a question to this list about the availability of an ADSM
AS/400 client. A developer answer me there is an API client available, but
there is no interface to it available.
I have three questions maybe somebody can answer:

1) There is a piece of hardware available for the AS/400 called FSIOP. This
card should enable you to run OS/2 under control of AS/400. Does this mean that
all data is shared? If so, could I use the OS/2 client to backup the AS/400
then?

2) Can someone of ADSM development tell me if there is a third party working on
integrating the ADSM API interface in their product?

3) Is there anybody out there serving AS/400 customers? How have they solved
their backup problem?

Thanks in advance for any reply!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon