ADSM-L

ADSM Newbie Question about Tapes ...

1995-02-20 13:01:00
Subject: ADSM Newbie Question about Tapes ...
From: Michael Knutson
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Monday, February 20, 1995 13:01
Hello! As new ADSM users currently evaluating the product on an MVS server,
we're wondering:

** How can we change the dataset name prefix for devclass Cartridge and
devtype CARTRIDGE ???? We want to change ADSM to ADSM.P so that tape DSNs
follow our "standard."

adsm> q devclass cartridge f=d

             Device Class Name: CARTRIDGE
        Device Access Strategy: Sequential
            Storage Pool Count: 0
Last Update by (administrator): MSKNUTSO
         Last Update Date/Time: 02/18/1997 13:51:04
                   Device Type: Cartridge
         Maximum Capacity (MB):
       Estimated Capacity (MB): 180.0
           Dataset Name Prefix: ADSM
                   Mount Limit: 2
         Mount Retention (min): 60
                    Label Type: IBMSL
               Expiration Date:
              Mount Wait (min): 60
                     Unit Name: TAPE
                        Volser:
                   Compression: Yes
                    Protection: No
                     Retention:

We've tried using the UPDATE syntax as shown in the manual using the
PREFIX= parameter, but ADSM says NOPE. We have successfully changed
expiration date to 99365,

adsm> update devclass cartridge exp=99365
ANR2205I Device class CARTRIDGE updated.

so we're puzzled about the PREFIX parm. Here's what happens:

adsm> update devclass cartridge prefix=adsm.p
ANR5503E UPDATE DEVCLASS: Invalid parameter for update - PREFIX.
ANS5102I Return code 3.

BTW, this is the Windows NT command line admin client ... haven't tried it
from SERVER_CONSOLE (MVS).

Arggghhhhh ...

TIA!! Michael

Michael Knutson
Hewitt Associates LLC
Computer Resource Management - Lincolnshire (LS 98)
telephone: (1)(847) 295.5000 x14549
e-mail: michael_knutson AT hewitt DOT com