ADSM-L

Re: DRP requirements

1997-02-17 05:35:00
Subject: Re: DRP requirements
From: ADSM-L(a)VM.MARIST.EDU; christoh(a)ABSA.CO.ZA
To: ADSM-L(a)VM.MARIST.EDU
Date: Monday, February 17, 1997 10:35AM
> Christo
>
> You didn't mention what your Regular ADSM server, but a tidbit I picked
up a
> while back may save you some time.....
>
> If you plan on using Copypools as a way to do DR (and we do), your DR
ADSM
> server MUST be on the same type of platform - That is if you run MVS,
then DR
> must be MVS.  If it must be different, then the only way to do DR
processing
> would be through Export/IMport.
>
> Jerry Lawson

Jerry,

Maybe I did not give enough detail.

What I would like to have is disaster recovery for the ADSM server when NOT
running under MVS.
We will either use an RS6000 or SUN SPARC or WIN NT as backup server, and
we will have a DRP backup server of the same type in another location.

What I would like is some ideas on the following:
If I use copy pools how can I have these copy pools physically in different
buildings?
The export/import option is not too good as the tapes created with the
export commnad at the primary backup site would have to be transported to
the DRP backup site and then imported again.

Can your primary and copy storage pools be in two physically different
locations - maybe 10 miles away from each other ??
If it is possible to do this then I can backup the database to this remote
site and in the case of a disaster bring up the remote DRP server, restore
the database and then tell ADSM that the original tapes have been wiped and
it should then automatically use the DRP tapes.

Am I expecting too much here, or is it possible???

Thanks

Christo Heukr
ABSA Bank
10 Troye St.