ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and MS NT 4.0 server

1997-02-17 11:20:23
Subject: Re: ADSM and MS NT 4.0 server
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:20:23 -0500
This probably is no help, except to say that we are backing up NT 4.0
servers to an AIX 4.1.4 ADSM, and we really did not have to do anything
special for NT 4.0.  I use the same dsm.opt file for NT 4.0 servers, NT
4.0 workstation, and Win95.

First off, did you put the ADSM server tcpip address in your dsm.opt
file?
I have included a copy of my dsm.opt file below.  As you can see, we use
a DNS alias called "ADPADSM" as our ADSM server address.

Also, you didn't say:

Is the problem occurring when you try to run the scheduled backup?
Did you install the backup scheduler as a service?
Do you get the same problem when you start the GUI?

If you haven't tried running a backup in interactive mode, I find that
setup problems are sometimes easier to debug there.  If you start the
ADSM GUI from the NT console, it might help you determine if you are not
getting to your dsm.opt file.  Or open a DOS window, CD to the directory
where ADSM is installed, and type DSMC SCHED.

Here is a copy of my dsm.opt file for our NT 4.0 servers.
COMMMETHOD               TCPIP
COMMMETHOD               TCPIP
COMPRESSION              YES
ERRORLOGRETENTION        90,D
MAXCMDRETRIES            99
*NODEname                Win default
PASSWORDACCESS           GENERATE
*PRESCHEDULECMD          " cmd string"
*POSTSCHEDULECMD         " cmd string"
QUERYSCHEDPERIOD         24
REPLACE                  PROMPT
RETRYPERIOD              20
SCHEDLOGNAME             c:\adsm\baclient\dsmsched.log
SCHEDLOGRETENTION        30,D
SLOWINCR                 NO
SUBDIR                   YES
TCPServeraddress         ADPADSM