ADSM-L

Tape Utilization and Collocation

1997-02-13 10:39:46
Subject: Tape Utilization and Collocation
From: Mary Vollmer <Mary_Vollmer AT MGIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:39:46 -0500
I have collocation turned on by node in my tape storage pool.  In 1 day, I
created 3 new tapes for the same node - 2 were created by MOVE DATA commands
and 1 was created during the nightly incremental backup.  The percent utilized
for the 1st tape created was .4%, the second was 1.6% and the third was 70.2%.
I have since issued MOVE DATA commands for other nodes and a tape in filling
status was mounted and used instead of a scratch tape.  Does anyone know of
circumstances under which this multiple tape creating occurs? (the only times
these tapes were mounted on that day was when they were being created).  Any