ADSM-L

Can ADSM do this?

1997-02-13 08:50:31
Subject: Can ADSM do this?
From: Dirk Kastens <dkastens AT RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:50:31 +0100
Hello,

the leader of one of our departments has some
serious questions about the functionality of ADSM.
He has some very special needs, that I think ADSM
is not able to fullfill.
I want to be sure and would be glad, if you could
answer the following question:

1. Does ADSM support "delete on restore"?
He wants to analyze the following scenario:
His system disk crashed, he installs the new system from CD.
Before the crash he deleted /usr/lib/sendmail and used
/usr/local/sendmail instead. After the new installation
the old /usr/lib/sendmail exists again. Now he starts an
ADSM restore of the /usr file system. Will ADSM delete
the now existing /usr/lib/sendmail, because it's not
on the backup?
How can he restore the system to exact the same state
as it was before the crash?

2. How can he be sure that the saved data on a backup medium
is identical to the local data? How can he trust the log
files? Maybe the head of the tape drive is defect, but
ADSM says that the backup completed successfully?
Is it possible for him to verify his backed up data?

3. How can he manage that the password isn't stored on
the client's local disk, but automatic backup can be
scheduled for late night?

Thanks very much in advance.
Regards,

Dirk Kastens _______________Dirk.Kastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE
Universitaet Osnabrueck     Phone: +49/541/969-2347 (work)
Rechenzentrum               Fax:   +49/541/969-2470 (work)
Albrechtstr. 28             Phone: +49/541/258182   (private)
49069 Osnabrueck
Germany