ADSM-L

ADSM Microsoft Access

1997-02-12 19:18:24
Subject: ADSM Microsoft Access
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:18:24 PST
>Will ADSM backup Microsoft Access Database files while open??
>
>If it does will the copy be good or damaged???
>
>Thanks Lee

Lee, I assume you are running on NT or Windows?  ADSM can back up
files while they are open, if there are no exclusive-type locks placed
on the files, which depends on the application and platform.  So depending
on how Access opens the db files and the operating system platform, ADSM
may not be able to back up the files.

If ADSM can, it would not be a good idea to do it for this Access database
because you are likely to get a fuzzy backup....you could use ADSM
serialization options such as shared static to help avoid this, but you
may end up backing up some files and not others.  Not a good idea
if you want database integrity when you restore.

The best approach for online backup would be to use an Access backup
utilities to dump the backup to a disk file, and then use ADSM to back up
that disk file.  I am not familar with Access to know what types of
backup utilities come with the product.  If this is not possible with
Access, then you can do an offline backup of Access with ADSM.

I'd be interested in knowing what backup utilities come with Access.
thanks,
Cyndie Behrens, IBM San Jose