ADSM-L

Bare Metal Redbook and Windows NT

1997-02-12 15:25:20
Subject: Bare Metal Redbook and Windows NT
From: "Curt W. Allen" <cwallen AT CMPCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 15:25:20 -0500
I have read and successfully tested the redbook/READ.ME procedure for restoring
a WinNT system, but this seems to waste disk space, and I would have to have
drives available for every hardware configuration supported.

Question:
Are there any tricks to restore NT "on top of itself"?  I attempted this in
vain with ADSM, acknowledging that the redbook was addressing the most reliable
method, not necessarily the fastest or most efficient.

We have successfully installed NT and restored over it with BackupExec.
Apparently Seagate's program does the registry copies when the machine is
re-booted.  However, ADSM is replacing BackupExec and it would be nice to be
able to recover from a disaster as elegantly as we could before the migration.

Any ideas would be appreciated.