ADSM-L

Re: multiple types of backups- full and incremental

1997-02-12 06:22:04
Subject: Re: multiple types of backups- full and incremental
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:22:04 +0200
> From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
> I have an ADSM/6000 server backing itself up.  We also use HSM on the
> major filesystems.
>
> We currently run nightly incremental backups, keep 3 versions back, etc
> etc.
>
> I would like to also do some type of  _full_ backups each month that I
> can save for
> some period of time and am not sure how I should do these.
>
> I could do regular AIX  backups by inode.. but to do so, I have to
> deactivate the HSM
> control over the filesytems, so it would have to be done at a "down"
> time etc.
>
> Is there a way to use ADSM to do both incrementals, and a full set of
> backups ???  If so,
> what happens for the files that have been migrated with HSM and are
> just a stub file ???
> Must I recall all migrated files before a full backup ????
>
> Thanks for any help.

Susan,

There is a way to do both types of backups: Define an extra schedule called
maybe
"weekly" and set the type as selective. Your normal incr. backups will
query the
schedule from the server and automatically start the weekly backup when
it's time to do so.
I have not had the chance to test the migration but I would think that ADSM
will ignore the migrated files. If you are concerned about losing a file
that has been migrated, you can specify that ADSM must have a backup copy
before migrating the file - This is done in the
mgmtclass.(MIGREQUIRESB=Yes).

A migrated file would not have changed since the last backup was done so a
full backup does not need to backup the migrated files.
The "stub" file will be backed up and not the complete file.

Hope this helps...
Regards
Christo Heukr
ABSA Bank