ADSM-L

Re: Strange behavior on NetWare

1997-02-10 23:13:12
Subject: Re: Strange behavior on NetWare
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 22:13:12 -0600
Item Subject: Strange behavior on NetWare
     OK, hate me if you must but you're at PTF #3...
     Now that's out of the way... it would be safe to say if ADSM wrote to
     the error log in a directory that the directory changed...outside of
     that I haven't heard anything from our Netware folks... (but we are
     using PTF #4 Oh that hurt to say...)
     My understanding is that it runs similar to IBM's antivirus program in
     that it tracks the size, attribute settings, etc. BUT it doesn't touch
     anything. We had real concerns when rolling ADSM out 'cause we wanted
     to also keep running another product until folks were sure of ADSM.
     Folks yelled at first that ADSM was TOUCHING all sorts of stuff like
     the archive attribute but then after just short of a court of law they
     explained things away by other tasks they were running on their
     systems.
     Oh, ADSM might trigger updates on the directories 'cause it is netware
     certified so it must use netware I/O routines... I bet when ADSM opens
     the files to back them up it (Novell) updates the directory entries.
     On unexplained backups, check for anti-virus programs running against
     such files...also ck your share options on the backups... (this might
     point the netware folks to something) but since adsm has to use
     netware I/O routines GOD only knows what they are doing with ADSM's
     requests... Oh, do you have Novell's compression activated... one big
     early complaint was that netware would uncompress the files to give to
     ADSM only to have ADSM compress them again, if you had compression
     turned on...
     later
         DWight