ADSM-L

Re: ARCSERVE/ADSM Conflict?

1997-01-30 12:22:46
Subject: Re: ARCSERVE/ADSM Conflict?
From: Tom Anstey <tom.anstey AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 17:22:46 GMT0BST
On NetWare 3.12 and 4.1x we have found with ARCServe 6 and ADSM that
if an ARCServe session starts while ADSM is busy, ADSM drops out with
a TCPIP connection failure as AS 6 starts the schedule.  We have
found it easier to run only one ARCServe server, using it to mirror
the  other servers, and then run ADSM to backup the rest.

Tom

> You didn't say where you were running ARCServe - NetWare or NT....
>
> We did see some performance problems when running ADSM and ARCServe on a
> NetWare box.  This was with an earlier version of ARCServe, and apparently
> there was a conflict with the DSMC NLM, and the NLMs from ARCServe.  We didn't
> recognize the problem for what it was at first, but CPU utilization rose
> dramatically on the server - to weel over 80% consistently.  Needless to say,
> users started complaining about response time.  We took ARCServe down, and the
> problem cleared.  The customer loved ADSM, and so was not put out by not
> running ARCServe.  If he needed it, he would temporarily unload DSMC do his
> thing, then start it back up.
>
> We have many ARCServe users, but they re generally glad to use ADSM instead.
> Since we discovered this problem, ARCServe has had at least one, possibly two
> new versions  since then, so the problem may not still be there.  If you need
> more specific information, let me know and I will call the customer to find
> out what he remebers.
>
> Jerry Lawson
> jlawson AT itthartford DOT com

Tom Anstey