ADSM-L

General Questions

2015-10-04 18:10:54
Subject: General Questions
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 1/29/97 7:55AM
Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    1/29/97 7:55 AM

Hi everybody,
                   I've got a few  questions to which I can't seem to
find the answers to and was wondering if anybody knew the answers.

Set up :- AIX 4.1.4/5, Server 2.1.0.11, Client 2.1.0.1

> 1) Is it possible to have lines of comment in the include exclude file ?

Sure - any line starting with a "*" is a comment.

> 2) Is there a way, when querying filespace to display which tape
volume it resides on or is the only way to show this info is by doing a
query content ?

No.  QThe only way to match files with a tape is via Q content -
unfortunately, you have to know the volume number of the tape to use the
command....

> 3) If I have a script which contains a 'dsmc selective' command,
this script is then run via the scheduler and if the output does not
go to the dsmsched.log file then where does it go ?

The output from selective commands is not logged anywhere
automatically.  We have set up scripts (on NT clients) and used the
pipe features built into the operating system to save the output from
the DSMC commands.

> 4) On the Client GUI how do I change the default so that all file
detail options are shown as default instead of having to check them
every time I start the GUI ?

I am note sure what you mean on this one.....

> 5) How do you folks deal with having an ADSM d/b backup on-site as
well as off-site if you are unable to take a copy of the ADSM d/b backup
tape ?

We retain the backup tapes for 21 days.  We do a full every Saturday,
and incrementals every other day.  Prior to a full backup being run, we
send off-site all the backups for the previous week.  Therefore, we have
a current full backup on site, along with any incrementals taken since
then, and a couple of sets of backups off site.  This is not what I
would like, but seems to be the best we can do, other than start trying
to copy tapes (which I have never had any consistent success with).
IBM's answer is mirror your DB, but then why do I put it on an expensive
 RAID device?  I'd rather have a mirror of the backup.

Hope this helps

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com

     TIA