ADSM-L

Re: user initiated restores on aix

1997-01-24 13:55:23
Subject: Re: user initiated restores on aix
From: Beth Landis <beth AT BLAZE.CCIT.ARIZONA DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:55:23 -0700
On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Helmut Richter wrote:
> If your users' data reside on a file server where the users have no
> access, you have still to validate all your users there. This is a bug in
> ADSM (which I have not reported so far and I wonder whether anybody else
> has): The non-validated users' files are backed up from the server under
> the users' UIDs instead of UNs (because the latter are unavailable to
> ADSM) but a user is validated against ADSM via his UN and not UID. Thus
> ADSM refuses the data ("this is user JoeUser but the data belongs to UID
> 23456", even if JoeUser has UID=23456).

I have this problem.  Our ADSM server runs on an IBM SP node (AIX 4.1.4)
with only a subset of our users in the /etc/passwd file.  Those users not
in the passwd file on the server cannot restore their own files from
another machine with the same NODENAME.  The root user can, as well as
everyone that is in the passwd file on the ADSM server.

I tried adding them to the ADSM server machines's passwd file after their
files were backed up, but that didn't help.  I guess they must be in the
passwd file when the files are backed up.

Has anyone decided if this is a bug or working as designed?  If it's the
latter, is there a way to associate the user name with the UID, or do I
have to do a LOT of SET ACCESS commands?

Beth