ADSM-L

Re: Password visibility in the client command line

1997-01-20 10:43:13
Subject: Re: Password visibility in the client command line
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:43:13 EST
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 08:54:21 -0600 LAbbinante said:
>I thought that this would be a problem also, but you can code a USERS
>parm in the dsm.sys file and only allow certain users to invoke the
>software.  So, if you know the password but aren't an authorized user,
>the password is really useless.

Unless they install there own copy of the software with their own set
of users on the USERS parm.
I suspect that the temp answer to this one is to use the password generate
option. This stores the password encrypted in a file. The line mode client
uses this file to supply the password. You can then use the unix acl or other
security services to secure the password file.
The long term solution would be to tie the security into the user's logon.
Instead of using a password per node. Have a password per user per node.
Then in the logon procedure for unix get a security
token for adsm use also.