ADSM-L

Re: NT support

1997-01-20 05:14:00
Subject: Re: NT support
From: Eric van Loon <evanloon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:14:00 +0100
Hi Laurie,

> Is there ADSM client support for NT version 4 ? If not will the latest
> client software work with NT version 4 ?
Yes, the Windows 32-bit client works for Windows NT 4.0 clients.

> Is there plans for HSM support for NT ?
No, IBM has no plans for creating a HSM client for NT. There is a product
called OPEN/Stor, made by Wang Software, which provides HSM functionality on NT
platforms and interfaces with ADSM through the ADSM API interface.
It's a rather expensive product which works through an OPEN/Stor storage server
(single point of failure?). You have to have an OPEN/Stor licence ($ 2995) and
for additional HSM storage (up to 10 Gb.) you have to buy a storage licence ($
1000). If you want unlimited storage it will cost you $ 40.000 !!!
One OPEN/Stor storage server can handle up to 8 HSM clients, so if you want,
for instance, want to support 80 NT clients you have to buy 10 OPEN/Stor
licences AND 10 storage licences !!!!! Imagine the costs! Isn't it much cheaper
to just plug-in additional harddisk storage?

I will post a requirement for a NT HSM client through the official channels, I
hope people will join me.
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon