ADSM-L

Re: NetWare client

1997-01-16 12:47:23
Subject: Re: NetWare client
From: Andy Raibeck <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:47:23 PST
Julie Phinney asks:

> We have mainly run ADSM on all our OS/2 Lan servers until recently
> venturing into the Netware world.  We just installed ADSM 2.1.6 on
> a Netware 3.12 server, and the first full backup backed up every
> drive in the attached CD Tower.  We are not specifying a DOMAIN
> parameter in the DSM.OPT file.  I thought the default was ALL-Local,
> and that excluded  attached CD drives.  On our OS/2 servers, the
> default is all local, and CD drives are automatically excluded.  What
> should I be doing different?

Julie, APAR IC07959 was taken way back when to address this as best we
can. Here is the problem description from that APAR:

      Unfortunately, SMS considers even hard disks as removable.
      Therefore, the current information returned in the query for
      type of volume SMS provides backup companies like ourselves is
      not going to help. Originally, we thought that by querying the
      type of device, we could avoid counting CD drives as part of
      all-local. But, the information returned from the query is the
      same, ie IsRemovable is true for all volumes.

The APAR provided the capability for ADSM to distinguish CD-ROMs from hard
drives provided that you mount the CD-ROMs with CDROM.NLM. If you mount them
via some other method, ADSM won't be able to tell the difference.

> Question 2:  Why does the DSM.OPT file have this in it:
> *  Recommended exclude list for NetWare
> *  -------------------------------------------------------
> *
> *  NetWare 3.x specific - use the INCR BINDERY or SEL BINDERY
> *  command to backup the bindery; exclude the real bindery
> *  files:
> *  -------------------------------------------------------
> * EXCLUDE          sys:\system\net$obj.sys
> * EXCLUDE          sys:\system\net$prop.sys
> * EXCLUDE          sys:\system\net$val.sys
> Why exclude these and back it up manually?  I noticed if we dont
> exclude these, they get backed up, which is, what I'd think, you'd
> want.

Your observations are correct: The NetWare bindery is considered part of
the ALL-LOCAL domain, and is the first thing backed up during incremental
backup processing.

The reason we recommend excluding the individual bindery files is because
ADSM backs up the bindery as an "entity" (as you've already seen), and
restores it as an "entity" (called BINDERY). You wouldn't want to restore
the individual bindery files, as that could result in bindery corruption.
Since the restore of the individual files wouldn't work well, there's no
point in backing them up.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support