ADSM-L

Re: Use of Spectra Logic tape drives

1997-01-15 18:26:49
Subject: Re: Use of Spectra Logic tape drives
From: "Kelly J. Root" <kroot1 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 17:26:49 -0600
Hahn, Michael R wrote:

> Greetings,
> We are currently an MVS/ADSM shop and are considering an ADSM Server
> implementation on NT.  We would like to connect a Compaq Proliant 4500
> or 5000 to a Spectra Logic 10000S tape drive unit with the Sony AIT
> technology.
>
> Has anyone used a Spectra Logic 10000S with a Compaq or Intel platform
> in general? If so, are you aware of any preferences between NT 3.5.1
> or OS/2? Perhaps someone has used the 10000s with a Unix platform and
> would like to comment on the experience?
>
> Any and all comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> BTW, I've checked on Spectra Logic at http://www.spectralogic.com and
> found no information on this matter.  Neither did I find this subject
> addressed in my search of the ADSM-L archives.
>
> IBMers: This issue is also open as ETR 19208,344,000.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael Hahn
> Systems Programmer
> AMP, Incorporated.

I have been considering adding an ADSM NT Server along with my MVS
server because of network considerations. Most of our LAN NT servers are
located in a different building than my MVS server. The distance is
about 15 miles. I was thinking of backing up my 18 (and the number is
increasing) NT LAN servers to an ADSM NT server using a tape drive, then
backing up the ADSM NT server to MVS for disaster recovery puposes.
Would this work? or make sense?