ADSM-L

Re: Backing Up MS Mail/Exhchange Files

1997-01-14 11:49:53
Subject: Re: Backing Up MS Mail/Exhchange Files
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 11:49:53 -0500
The answer is no.

I contacted IBM support because we are having the same problem.
MS Exchange opens those files with the "exclusive" option, and NOTHING
else can open those files.
It's not really an ADSM problem, it's a Windows issue.
If you can't copy the files with copy, ADSM can't back them up.

Our short-term solution may be to have users put their .pst files on a
network drive.  The network servers are backed up at night, when users
are very unlikely to have their mail files open.

Another possibility that comes to mind is to have a program specified in
the dsm.opt file that prompts the user to shut down Exchange before the
scheduled backup runs, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.