ADSM-L

Re: Incremental backups to two different management classes

1997-01-14 04:25:29
Subject: Re: Incremental backups to two different management classes
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:25:29 +0100
> Quick question for those who know better than me.
>
> Our user requirement for one application is daily backups, twice a day,
> keeping 32 days. On top of that they want a weekly backup, same files as
> the daily but the end of week position being retained for 12 months. Then
> they want a monthly backup, retention 7 years.
>
> ... <stuff deleted> ...
>
> The problem is there doesn't seem to be a way of incrementally backing up
> every day with a 32 day retention and at the weekends backing up only the
> files which have changed since the last weekend, keeping the copies for
> twelve months if they have changed during that week. A means of
> implementing this would be to be able to specify a  management class for
> incremental backups but this isn't allowed.

One trick would be to define several "virtual" clients. On a Unix client
you could have several stanzas in your dsm.sys:

SERVERNAME A
   NODENAME                 CLIENTA
   TCPPORT                  ...
   TCPSERVERADDRESS         ...

SERVERNAME B
   NODENAME                 CLIENTB
   TCPPORT                  ...
   TCPSERVERADDRESS         ...

You can bind CLIENTA and CLIENTB to different policy domains with different
default management classes. To perform a backup as CLIENTB, you use the
-servername option:
dsmc incr -servername=b
dsmc incr -servername=b

--
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet