ADSM-L

JFS versus raw for ADSM database

1997-01-13 16:40:28
Subject: JFS versus raw for ADSM database
From: "Alan R.White" <arw AT TIPPER.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 21:40:28 -0000
Different people have recommended different solutions for the ADSM database
on AIX.

A report from an independant consultant (whose daytime job is an ADSM
consultant for IBM) we commisioned recommended raw volumes as he claims AIX
can rollback JFS filesystems during crash recovery and undo updates that
ADSM believes were committed. (On a general note doesn't AIX replay the JFS
log in that kind of situation thus applying changes which didn't make it
onto the filesystem - the reverse of what is in the report?)

One of our colleagues on the ADSM mailing list recently told me offline
that they originally had their database on raw logical volumes and,
following a database corruption when the server wasn't shut down in an
appropriate manner, IBM recommended he run the database in files in the JFS
in order to avoid corruption in these circumstances.

There are also, it seems from IBMs support database, inconclusive
performance arguments for and against JFS. I'm looking for data integrity
primarily and if we can get performance improvements so much the better.
Anybody got any experiences in this area?

Sorry if this is a FAQ - is there a FAQ based on the list anywhere?

Thanks in advance
Alan White