ADSM-L

MVS-Server goes to sleep when waiting for a tape

1997-01-13 08:58:27
Subject: MVS-Server goes to sleep when waiting for a tape
From: Matthias Brasch <100673.411 AT COMPUSERVE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 08:58:27 -0500
High to all ADSM'ers,

I'm running ADSM-MVS-Server V2.1.09 and the following effect
appears when I'm running an 'backup storage pool' :
The tapes from the pool 'CTAPE_COLLOCATION' are to be copied
into the backup storage pool 'MTAPE_COPYPOOL'.
This works fine until the tape on device MTAPE will be full
and ADSM needs the next scratch tape to be mounted.
If there is no free device for the mount of the new tape
the MVS-message 'IEF238D ... Reply device name...' appears.
This message is answered with 'reply xx,wait' and so the
This message is answered with 'nohold'.
This is the moment when ADSM goes to sleep until anything happens
with the tapes ( another Task like dfhsm frees one device ).
The problem is that the tape which is already mounted on MTAPE
and which is full will not be dismounted until ADSM has an free
device to mount another tape.
This is an deadlock situation and is an ADSM-error I think.
The problem is that not only the backup task hangs but all
adsm processing stops. Even the client-sessions and admi-sessions
are hanging.
ADSM should dismount the full tape immediately and not wait
for the next tape mounted on another device.
I know about the 'mount-retention' parameter and set this to '0'.

Anyone any  Idea ?

Best regards,
Matthias Brasch, HEW-Hamburg, M_Brasch AT compuserve DOT com