ADSM-L

Re: Cross client restores

1997-01-10 18:31:37
Subject: Re: Cross client restores
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 18:31:37 EST
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:12:15 -0500 Steven P Roder said:
>Hi All,
>
>     I hope I am just missing something.  What I want to do is authorize
>some user on the server, say, restore AT server DOT node to restore all files
>on the client (set access "*"), so that the "restore" user on the
>server can then restore files back to any client, making the server a
>central point for restores.  Can this be done?  If not, then I see this as
>a serious flaw in the product.  I am running Version 2 clients with
>Version 1/PTF1 of the Sun Solaris server.  Please do not tell me that one
>has to initiate all restore from the client system!
>
>Thanks,
>

>Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
>(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
>(716)645-3564 ,
>   | http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)

Hello Steve

We have also been looking at this problem. In fact we asked a question
almost 3 years ago about this.

And yes all restores have to be done at the client. I believe that the
only things that can be done at the server are reg, delete filespace,
remove node. From the server you can set up things to happen from
a schedule.

I believe that there are two ways to do this after the ptf 6 was released.

1) Run the scheduler on the client and then build a custom schedule to
   restore the files for the client. This requires the version 2
   server and clients. Which is still not possible for some platforms.
   ( I hope version 3 is released in a smaller delta of time).

2) Run the webshell on the client and then you can use your web browser
   to connect to the webshell program and do the restore.

Both methods would seem like a good way to have trojan horses if your
adsm security was compromised.

len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513