ADSM-L

Filespaces > 4 Gb fix in client PTF 6

1997-01-09 17:11:23
Subject: Filespaces > 4 Gb fix in client PTF 6
From: Mj Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 14:11:23 PST
On Thursday, January 9th, Dean Roy asked:

> Is the filesystem > 4 Gb statistics fix in all clients?

We did fix the filesystem statistics in the backup/archive GUI
on all clients that support filesystems greater than 2 Gb in PTF 6,
which I think is all the UNIX clients, and most PC-based 32-bit clients.
Your Sun filesystem sizes should now show correctly in the GUI with PTF 6.

The only platform that I know this new code causes a problem for is the
Windows 16-bit client in the Windows-For-Workgroups environment only.
Apparently, under certain conditions (not recommended by MS),
you can define drives > 2 Gb in the 16-bit WFW.  Since we use DOS calls in our
16-bit client support, these larger drives sizes can cause problems when we
calculate our GUI file statistics.  We've documented it in our README,
and are trying to see if there is anything we can do about it.
Meanwhile, we recommend you follow Microsoft's recommendations to
stick to drive sizes of 2 Gb or less in Windows 16-bit Windows For Workgroups.

The GUI filesystem statistics are a completely separate issue from our
new support for filesizes > 2 Gb.  The ability to backup/archive files > 2 Gb
is limited to four clients: AIX 4.2, WindowsNT, Digital UNIX 4.0, and NetWare.

MJ Lopatin
ADSM Client Development