ADSM-L

how are ADSM tasks prioritized?

1997-01-09 15:55:58
Subject: how are ADSM tasks prioritized?
From: Mary Vollmer <Mary_Vollmer AT MGIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:55:58 -0500
I ran into a situation today where I saw the following:

We have the tape mountlimit set at 3
We are running 1 and have several other move data processes waiting to run.
A user requests 4 archive tasks to run (archive will be written to tape)
One of the archives starts and completes.
The other 3 archives remain in media wait status for over 2 hrs.
The move datas continue to run.
I increase the mountlimit to 7.
2 more move data processes take off
The 3 archives continue to wait.
I cancel all the move datas.
The archives finally start.

I would have at least expected the archives to use  the 1 available drive the
move data was not using.  When I increased the mountlimit, I expected the 3
archives to start running - not 2 more move datas to take off.  Can someone
tell me the priority ADSM places on each of the tasks?  Thanks.