ADSM-L

Re: ADSM on MVS

1997-01-08 17:24:01
Subject: Re: ADSM on MVS
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 17:24:01 EST
On Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:08:10 PST Andy Raibeck said:
>Julie Phinney wrote (in part):
>
>>1) I got an ANR0132E (memory allocation failed) and would like to
>>   increase my region parm on the started task from 40M to something.
>>   Has anyone played around with and increased that?  To what?
>>   (My bufpoolsize is 3072, logpoolsize is 1024, maxsess is 100)
>
>The minimum recommended region size is 128 MB (REGION=128M) for an MVS
>server. It used to be 40 MB, but we found that that was just too small
>for anything but a startup installation.
>
>Andy Raibeck
>ADSM Level 2 Support

Hello Andy

The above response brings to mind a whole set of new questions.
For example what is the minimum recommended virtual machine size on
a VM system? I would assume that since mvs and vm are mostly the same
code that they would be the same.

We are running a 31meg virtual machine with a bufpoolsize of 4096
and logpoolsize of 2048 and a maxsession limit of 35. This is a vm
version 1 server running on a 3090/400s machine. Before the answer
above I did not think that we were running a server at a restricted
size, but now?

What are the trade off in decreasing or increasing the size? This
answer is clear where one gets a message ANR0132E but not otherwise.
I would assume that cpu size, real memory/paging subsys size,
number of concurrent sessions, tcpbuffersize, txnbytelimit, etc
would all have an effect.

For the db and log buffer we can issue the query db or query log commands
to ascertain how well we sized the buffers. (Our db at this time has a
cache hit of 97.92)

What tools if any exist to properly size the region/virtual machine size?

len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513