ADSM-L

Re: Multiple ADSM Servers

1997-01-08 17:57:04
Subject: Re: Multiple ADSM Servers
From: David Ong <david AT BABYONG.NSC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 14:57:04 -0800
Brian,
Can you elaborate a little more on how you share the 3494 & its tape drives
among multiple servers? Specifically,
 1. When you define the library for your servers, do you point to the same
device name, eg /dev/lmcp0 ?
 2. Are the tape drives shared dynamically as needed by each server or are
they predefined and dedicated to a particular server?
 3. Are you using 'scratch' tapes with the library? If so, how do you
manage them across the multiple servers? Are you using different 'scratch
and private' category codes for each different server? How do you check
them into the library?
Thanks in advance for your help.

_________________________________
>Subject: Multiple ADSM Servers
>Author:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> at SMTP
>Date:    1/8/97 6:54 AM
>

>Has anybody ever run multiple AIX ADSM servers all working with one 3494?
>We're running the server on an SP wide node and have managed to shoehorn 4
>SCSI controllers in for the 3590 drives in the library. We've still got
>more client machines to migrate to ADSM and some of them have large volumes
>of data to backup so 2 more 3590s have arrived. Problem is we know from
>past experience that its just not worth putting more than one 3590 on a
>SCSI controller.
>
>The only answer we can come up with is to run a second ADSM server on
>another node with adequate MCA slots free for the SCSI connections to, say,
>the two new 3590s in the library and start putting clients onto this one.
>This will bring more administration overheads for us and some possible
>areas of confusion. Can anyone see any other problem areas running these
>two ADSM servers against a single 3494, containing 6 3590 drives, two of
>which are managed by one server, four by the other?
>
>We're doing what we can to minimise tape drive contention but contention
>does exist and hence the need for more drives. Anyone any experience of
>running ADSM on a high-node? These have 16 MCA slots and would allow us to
>continue with one ADSM server but we've heard that the high-speed switch
>code doesn't perform well on an SMP machine.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Alan White

Have a nice day or whatever's left of it.

David Ong
National Semiconductor Corp.