ADSM-L

Million file limit?

1997-01-02 11:31:09
Subject: Million file limit?
From: Bill Nickless <nickless AT MCS.ANL DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 10:31:09 -0600
At 10:29 AM 1/2/97 -0500, Joe Morris wrote:
>I would strongly encourage you to get involved in attending some of the
>USENIX Conferences.  At least make sure you get someone to the LISA
>Conference.  Thousands turn out for this annual, week-long conference held
>in the Fall.  This is not just another circus like Interop, but real
>administrators who come to learn and share admin experiences with others.
>There were quite a few vendors this past year, but only 1 or 2 of them
>dealt with enterprise backups--lousy ones at that.  You can get more info
>from http:///www.usenix.org.

Several of our people went to LISA in Chicago this year.  One rumor that
came back from LISA was that ADSM failed, silently and hard, when it hit a
million files stored.  The rumor goes on, quoting IBM as saying they're not
going to fix it.  This is now part of the received wisdom around our site;
frankly, I find it hard to believe based on the good experiences I have had
setting up ADSM with 3494 libraries and 3590 drives.

My guess is that the million file limit came from somone setting up an HSM
client with only a million inodes, and when it hit a million files it quit
accepting new ones.  Either that or someone set up their db too small.

I would be interested to hear from sites that are storing more than a
million files, especially those that are storing >1E6 files via the HSM
client.  Also, if this story sounds familiar, and you know the details, I
would be interested to hear about them as well.  Also: is there an easy way
to query a filespace or storage pool to see how many files are stored in
that filespace/storage pool?

Thanks,
--
Bill Nickless              nickless AT mcs.anl DOT gov               +1 630 252
7390
Bill Nickless              nickless AT mcs.anl DOT gov               +1 630 252
7390
PGP 2.6.2 Key fingerprint =  0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52  E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7
                 http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless