ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Netware Log questions

1996-12-30 16:30:05
Subject: Re: ADSM Netware Log questions
From: Eric LEWIS <Eric.Lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 16:30:05 CDT
     The following note could be considered a response to Diane's questions
     and a submission to IBM's input list for new features.  Call it "Brief
     Summary Mode" instead of "Quiet Mode".   erl

     We use the "quiet" mode.  The special thing we did was to create an
     execute only-flagged file, which cannot be backed up.  This generates a
     single file failure message.  We needed it because you don't get any
     summary information for a volume unless there was a problem.  We
     created a fake problem.  The resultant entry is something like "volume
     suchandsuch FINISHED with one failure".  That's the message we were
     trying to generate; we just want to know that a volume finished.  What
     it should do is say "volume suchandsuch finished with zero failures".
     For some odd reason though, this kind of information is not logged.
     lrs

1.  Does anyone else have a problem with the DSMERROR.LOG not being
cleared out as per ERRORLOGRETENTION parameter?  Is this specific to
Netware?

2. Is it possible to control which messages go into the DSMSCHED.LOG?
More specifically, I am thinking that it would be good to see summary
information (i.e. number of files, amount of data, throughput, etc.)
instead of every single file that is backed up.

Dianne Sharp
Operations Analyst
ISS CUSTOMER SUPPORT
Ext 4208