ADSM-L

Re: include/exclude problem

1996-12-27 11:46:47
Subject: Re: include/exclude problem
From: Andy Raibeck <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 08:46:47 PST
Andy Carlson asks:

>We have a novell server that we want to do some special processing with.
>At 9pm, we want a selective backup of a directory.  Then a 3AM, we do an
>incremental and want to exclude the backed up directory.  We tried this
>with include/exclude, which did not work, and I would have know that if I
>had read the manual a little closer.  Is there a way to do this?  I asked
>the novell guys if they had a way to move the inclexcl file in and out at
>different times, and they said they did not.  This brings up a question
>though - does adsm reread the inclexcl file at the time the command is
>executed, or only at the time load dsmc schedule is executed.  Thanks.

There is no simple way to "temporarily" exclude files from incremental
backups, although this is a well known requirement. Swapping the include/
exclude statements around is not a good idea, because once ADSM sees the
exclude, it will not only skip the excluded files during backup, but it
will also expire any existing backup versions.

You could try coding an include that binds that directory's files to a
management class whose backup copygroup has a non-zero frequency, say, like
2 or 3 days (or whatever). The frequency parameter only affects incremental
backup; you can still do selective backups whenever you want. If you
selectively back up the files every night, then the frequency option should
prevent a subsequent incremental backup from occurring on those files.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support